As summer draws to an end, Canadian Geese are not the only species looking for a place to escape the harsh winter. Cluster flies, also known as attic flies, seek shelter in our homes to hibernate between early fall and spring. Although the flies are harmless and do not settle in houses to breed, a swarm of insects indoors can be a nuisance and potentially a health hazard.
How to Recognize Cluster Flies
- Measuring up to 10 millimeters in length, cluster flies have a dark gray body and golden hairs on their thorax.
- During their hibernation period their weary appearance may lead you to think that they are dead.
- They are often spotted in houses in rural areas, although this is not always the case.
If cluster flies hibernate in hidden places, how do you know if there are any in your house? When the sun comes out and the temperature increases slightly, large swarms of cluster flies can often be spotted in windows.
What ICE Pest Control in Toronto can do for You
As new groups of cluster flies migrate every year, it is virtually impossible to eradicate them for good. That being said, good pest control companies can provide you with the best long-term solution that will prevent you from having to fog your attic year after year. This would involve:
- Dusting or fogging attics from top to bottom to remove any unwanted cluster flies.
- Spraying windows, doorframes and baseboards with a special treatment in order to prevent the cluster flies from returning.
- If the weather permits, an application of this treatment to exterior windows and doors is advisable.
- A twice-yearly application of this spray during spring and fall to prevent new migrations of cluster flies from settling in the house.
ICE Pest is Skilled in Cluster Fly Removal & Prevention in the GTA
At ICE Pest, we are renowned for our cluster fly prevention and elimination services throughout Toronto and surrounding areas of the GTA.
- Are you concerned you might have an infestation of cluster flies?
- Do you wish to take preventative measures?
- Would you like to find out more about the other fly and pest removal services that we offer in Toronto and surrounding areas?
Take a look at our website for more information concerning cluster flies and other pests. We also provide removal and control of mice, wasps, ants, cockroaches, bats, ticks, and many others. Alternatively, please visit the following links to learn more about the pest control services that we offer in Markham, Oakville and Toronto.
Contact us today for a free quote or contact us at 1-888-439-8376.